Video (above) and Transcription (below):
Hello dear friends, recently I posted on Facebook that I would talk about the “Power of the Spoken Word” and what prompted me to want to talk about the Power of the Spoken Word was after an incident I had while driving my car with my children in it.
You know there are sometimes when driving and you encounter a driver who may drive recklessly and insult you even though the driver may be the one at fault but before you know it, without thinking you hurl insults back on the driver. So this was the case that happened to me, there was this driver who made a bad turn against the traffic light and nearly rammed into me and when I told the driver what he was doing was wrong instead of the driver being apologetic he was very rude and was insulting away and before I knew it, I hurled my own insult back at the guy.
Now immediately I did that, I felt something in me just died, and I became very upset, with myself and it was not only because I insulted this driver right in front of my kids, which was a bad example in itself, because little children as they grow up learning by picking up different mannerisms and who else would they pick from first, if not from their parents whom they look up to as an example, (however, later on I had to call my children to explain to them what I did was wrong and also told them what I ought to have said and done and they should caution me in case I err again), anyways but what really made me upset was that I understand the power of the Spoken Word and how sharp it can be, like a double edged sword to create things almost immediately.
Now I do not consider myself to be spiritual guru or claiming to be a holier than thou type of person, but over the years I have studied myself and several other people (#KnowThyself) and found out there are times when I have thought or said certain things under sometimes or under certain emotional conditions and they happened almost immediately or soon thereafter.
The word is like a bridge between the Spirutal realm and the Physical
I have deduced from my own observation that two things greatly contribute to immediate manifestation of the Spoken Word.
1. The Emotional State of the individual
as at the time of speaking:
I found out that when one is in a heightened emotional state they could say certain things which may come to pass. As a
I would like to cite a few cases. Since
1993, I used to love listening to 2-pac. I have all his tracks and love rapping
to them and would rap for my friends and at a time I climbed the stage in my
University days to rap 2pac. If you are a 2-pac fan you would know that his
lyrics were prophetic even predicting his death and 2 pac even said so in one
of his interviews. Same with his friend and rival Biggie, if you listened to his
lyrics the same, thing. Let me cite our dynamic duo the P-squared, there was a
particular jam they sang, I can’t remember the name but in the lyrics and
chorus they were saying something like “nothing good lasts forever” or
something like that. Now when I heard them sing that song with all the energy
and dynamism twins have I just said to myself back then, that I do not see
these guys lasting for long because they had in a way predicted their break up.
I would also cite Fela Anikulapo Kuti
who is not called a Prophet of sorts in Nigeria, he put in so much emotion and
energy into his songs that his songs transcended times and space in Nigeria and
because everything happens in cycles till we learn our lessons, his songs transcended
those times and are still relevant. So when citing artistes and the emotions
they put in their songs, watch out and listen to artistes when they sing you
would see this trend there. Also the kind of movies Hollywood makes are
something to be worried about to because some of them may indeed come into
People who curse others and it seems to manifest is because their grief is a heightened emotional state, same as those who bless and it manifests is because of their happy heightened emotional state as at the time of speaking.
(More on this on Visualizations, Affirmations and Faith).
2. The overall Spiritual State of the individual:
Individuals who are on the spiritual path consciously strive to have pure thoughts, words and deeds because they are ever conscious of the popular maxim, “Be mindful of your thoughts, they become words, mind your words for they become deeds, mind your deeds for they become character and mind your character for it becomes destiny”
When GOD created the World and humans and through
the “Word” he did it out of LOVE so when one consciously aligns his or her
thoughts words and deeds to that of the GOD frequency, anything the individual says
comes to pass almost immediately. People who on the spiritual path who are
consciously striving to have positive thoughts often feel as if they were in a
sublime state as if they were rising to the heavens , so you can imagine rising
to the heavens where GOD is and then saying words in a heightened emotional
state, it would become potent.
This the reason why the words of Prophets, or clergy are very potent because of their spiritual state and that is why one on the spiritual path have to be mindful of the things they say.
So how does one develop and maintain the Power of your Spoken Word?
The word of GOD is like a double edged sword that cuts through the ether to create, it is the link between the Spiritual and the Physical and so is your word and it must be kept sharp to create.
- Let your word be your bond: If you say something do it and the quicker you execute what you have spoken the better for you. It is as if you are strengthening your word and spiritual muscles for the WORD which manifests what is in the Spiritual realm to the Physical.
- Exercise will power and self-control: Now when Jesus said if one slaps your cheek turn the other, or if one takes your coat
givehim your cloak as well, even though this may not be taken literary, e.g. like my case with the driver who was in the wrong. You see It much easier is to lash out angrily when provoked because it is like a reflex action especially if you are someone with a hot temper but it takes a lot of Will Power for one to Control his or her words in the midst of provocation or to make peace.
- An example is the case of Lord Jesus during his trial and conviction that is the height of self-control because just a spoken word and all would have died immediately, but because Jesus had a mission, he refrained. Remember Jesus Christ said, in the Beatitudes of Mat.5:9 “Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.” If you are a child or GOD then that means you can do the things you see your Father do. Silence is indeed golden when you are provoked you are bound to say a lot of things you may regret. It is better
thatwhen you are calm you can address the situation better.
- Practice forgiveness: The more you forgive others the more you would be forgiven your own sins and have the “blade of your spoken word” sharpened.
- Practice thinking and saying only things that are wholesome and true. Evil thoughts, words of
back biting, gossiping, and talking ill of someone has a way of making your sword blunt. Because everything you say has a way of going into the spiritual realm and it is stored there and will make your blade blunt and rusty. Insteadpractice praying to GOD in silence in your mind as often as possible and you would be filling your heart with God’s words and sharpening the Power of your Spoken Word.
I have concluded that our “spoken word” like our Father in heaven is like a double edged sword and is kept sharpened by our emotions we put behind the words and to keeping our thoughts and words as pure as possible.
Make me to understand the way of thy precepts, so shall I talk of thy wondrous works. (Psalm 119: 27)
- In the creation story in Genesis chapter 1, God created the Universe with the word, God said… and everything was created.
- We are created in the image and likeness of GOD.
- I have said, “You are gods; you are all sons of the
Most High. Ps 82: 6
- Forever o Lord, thy word is settled in heaven. Thy faithfulness is unto all generations thou
hasestablished the earth and it abides. They continue to this day according to thy ordinances for all are thy servants Psalm 119: 89-91
- …thy will be done on earth as it is done in heaven (the Lord’s prayer) Mat. 6:10
- In the
beginningwas the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was inthe beginning with God. All things were made through him, and without him was not anything made that was made. In him was life and the life was the light of men. (John 1:1-4).
- God created the world out of love and we Christians believe that this word was made flesh in the person of Jesus Christ who came to save mankind through teaching and showing Love. He being filled with the Holy Spirit sent the Holy Spirit to reveal all to those who would become children of
GODby being “born-again” of the Water and the Spirit. The Water cleanses and the Holy Spirit gives understanding and power to become true Sons of GOD and do the things of GOD. (more on the topic of WATER later)
- I have refrained my feet from every evil way, that I might keep thy word (Psalm 119: 101)
Next I would be dwelling on Visualizations, Affirmations and Faith